Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I'm On Sale

That's odd, but right. And buying me will give money to a great cause!

Let me explain: several years ago, I wrote a book called Pauline Frommer's New York City (its now in its second edition). One chapter of the book was walking tours, three of them and in order to make sure they worked, I took friends on them. They were such fun, that other friends asked me to do them for their special occasions and I have.

Well, Theaterworks USA, an organization dear to my heart, asked me to donate something to their silent auction, and I decided to donate one of these tours. Its good for up to 8 people, at a mutually agreed upon time. And to make it more fun, I'm going to treat everyone to cocktails at the end. The tour will be either of Harlem or the Financial District of Manhattan and should take between 1.5 and 2 hours.

Its not something I usually do for money, but in this case, the cause was so good, I just had to help out. Theaterworks USA is the largest children's theater company in the US, and gives tens of thousands of schoolchildren their first taste of live theater each year. Its also been very important as an incubator of young talent. Director Jerry Zaks started here, as did Lynne Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty (composers of Ragtime and Once on this Island).

To bid on the walk, click this link. The auction is up online until the end of day Monday, Feb 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment