Monday, October 1, 2012

You'll Never Believe Where NY's Mayor Bloomberg Plans To Place the World's Tallest Ferris Wheel

I'm a native New Yorker, but I've only been to Staten Island 4 times in the 40-plus years I've lived in this city.

Frankly, that's 3 times too many.

Harsh words, I know, but with the exception of a really dull recreated Colonial Village (my kids BEGGED to go home early), the best thing about this borough is its view of the other boroughs. That's not to say it isn't a good place to live. Filled with lawns and clapboard houses and decent pizza parlors, its a good place to raise a family (or so say the many cops and firemen who live in this borough). But for visitors?!? Who wants to see NYC's version of the blandest of suburban neighborhoods.

I guess Mayor Bloomberg thinks seeing that will be better from up high. WAAAY up high. It was announced today that the tallest Ferris Wheel in the world is about to be constructed on Staten Island, for completion in 2015. I can only hope that from the top you get a good view of the more interesting parts of the area. I very much doubt that the mall, restaurants and hotel planned to sprawl at the base of the Ferris Wheel will be much of a draw.

To read about the dimensions of this new planned monster, click here. 

I guess the project gives the folks who take the Staten Island Ferry as a free boat ride somewhere to go, briefly, when they get off.


3 comments:

  1. I have been to Staten Island twice- only to see the Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden with the Chinese Scholar's Gardens, a very special place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I haven't been to the Garden. Maybe there is one thing there to see and do. Will have to go

    ReplyDelete